- How come rebates are for a maximum of 5 vehicles per person? I thought this was for the benefit of the middle to working class? As far as I know, very few in the 'middle-class' bracket can afford to own more than 2 vehicles - usually one cheaper or older vehicle (kapcai or old Proton) and a newer one. Why are we helping people who can afford to own 3+ cars!
- Why is government supporting these rebates for vehicles using the criteria of less than 2,000cc? On this basis, the proud more than-middle-class Malaysian owner of a brand new BMW 3 Series Convertible (1,995 cc) would be equally eligible for the rebate as a working class owner of a 3rd hand Proton Iswara (1,300cc)!
- This rebate targets people who own vehicles, but many of the poor, especially the hard-core, will not be eligible for these benefits but will suffer the impact of higher inflation anyway! This was not just expressed over teh tarik over the weekend, a couple of bankers were quoted in the papers today as saying with recent policy changes "more Malaysians could slip into the poverty bracket, if not below"!
- My young friend here has an analysis that shows that key beneficiaries of this rebate policy include a particularly well connected investment bank, chaired by an infamous almost-Tan Sri! How consistent with past Lah-ist government policy!
- Poeple are rushing for the rebates, despite the government saying they can do this over the course of the year. The reason? People are afraid Pak Lah will flip-flop again and cancel the rebate before they can get their money! Early signs here?
- Implementation? Long queues, grouses over Post Offices running out of cash, but the minister is still smiling and declaring early success!
Sunday, June 15, 2008
The Horrors Of RM625 Rebate Per Car
I wish to add to the pile of horrors being shared across the old and new Malaysian media on this RM625 rebate we the rakyat should be getting per registered vehicle of less than 2,000cc or RM150 per motorbike below 250cc. The following list is not comprehensive, but still...