There is a rumour swirling about Putrajaya at the moment among the higher echelons of the Civil Service. The rumour surrounds a 4th Floor plan to turn Kalimullah Hassan into a Tan Sri!
Now, normally, the Civil Service would just go through the motions when instructed by the PM or, in recent years, by the 'children' and their 'new Dato' friends on the 4th floor. However, it seems that many Civil Servants are sufficiently appalled of the thought of calling Kalimullah Hassan "Tan Sri" that they are resisting the attempt to make him one!
The man on the street of course probably also don't see a reason why Uncle Kali should be made a Tan Sri. A Dato', of course... I mean anyone with a bit of a name gets a plain Dato' in this country, but a Tan Sri? One wonders which of these achievements merit Uncle Kali getting a Dato'-ship?
- Successfully getting Pak Lah, as well as a large number of other VVIPs, to believe that Kali was somehow 'responsible' for securing them higher office, when he was not?
- Successfully turning the New Straits Times into the least read of the mainstream dailies in Malaysia whilst transforming it into little better than a mere tabloid in the process?
- Getting appointed to numerous high ranking corporate positions because of 1?
- Getting a big slice of the ECM-Libra pie and then helping the facilitation of numerous financial rapes, the most celebrated being the rape of Avenue Capital by ECM?
- Successfully being exposed as a liar with his fake recollection of the event of Pak Lah's kow-towing to Tun Dr M in Tokyo a couple of years ago?
- Successfully, showcasing his skill as the most accomplished psycophant or 'maha-pangampu' of this or any other era of Malay history?
- And just to add some conspiracy spice; successfully being accussed of spying on high-level Malaysian affairs for Singapore?
- ... ad nauseum...
Could these achievements be good reasons for him to get a Tan Sri-ship? Pity all the other Tan Sri's in Malaysia. If Kalimullah Hassan does get his Tan Sri-ship, Pak Lah and his boys would again be responsible for transforming yet another honoured tradition in Malaysia into a mockery... Well, at least Mat Taib will have company in the lower quality bracket of Tan Sri's...
But perhaps that is not the end game. Maybe what they wish to do is give Khairy Jamaluddin (KJ) a Tan Sri-ship? With many of KJ's mate's being Dato's already, how could KJ's title also be limited to a Dato'-ship! But of course, they need to test this first, so why not have this idea tested by giving the title to another K?
Tan Sri Khairy Jamaluddin... hmmm... has a certain ring to it... Wonder what the Civil Service would think about that?! So much for Pak Lah being the hero of the Civil Service...
Alhamdulillah, sensible minds have prevailed it would seem... Kali merits only a Dato' from the Agong. Thanks Hard-T for the update...