I first heard of the charges against Anwar whilst choosing the fish at a very late night gathering of chums in Alor Star. The news came from someone in Datuk Seri Najib's office. The news came late, on Saturday night, a couple of days after the police report, and the tone of the friend was panic! Najib's office was freaking out... they did not see this coming and was mindful of suspicion towards Najib...
I then heard that Anwar's accuser, Saiful, had been seeking an appointment with Che Det's office about his case. He did not get one. (Editted from original following input from A Voice)
The above appear to have been further confirmed by Saiful's family and fiance. So by my estimation, there does not appear to be a Najib or Tun Dr M conspiracy afoot to have Anwar charged for Sodomy / Homosexual Rape. However, there does appear to be a conspiracy afoot in laying the blame on Najib over this scandal. To track this, one must ask, who benefits?
After some thought and analysing the impact of these accusations upon Anwar, as well as the arguments now raging on the web, over sms' and coffee shop talk, one can surmise that the early beneficiary of spinning this issue in Najib's direction is Anwar! No, I don't think Anwar conspired to get Saiful to fabricate this accussation, but please just bear with me. Let us consider that:
- Anwar was a big beneficiary of his 90's sodomy case. Of course, Pak Lah still stands as the biggest beneficiary, being otherwise politically near-dead, but Anwar's dismissal was looming after he challenged Tun Dr M. In fact, many of Tun's supporters wished he had supressed Anwar's earlier sodomy charge... the result was sympathy for Anwar, sandiwara, then PRU 1999...
- Anwar is facing the prospect of being held to account on his promises. He has problems delivering a new government based on BN defections by an already delayed 16 September date. The veracity of his claims on returning subsidies if he comes to power and the dodgy performance of the Selangor PKR government also present big challenges. So a distraction helps...
- Anwar's backup plan of planting his loyalists in Pak Lah's camp, likely assisted by long time fan Khairy Jamaluddin (KJ), is now attracting attention. The appointment of Suhaimi Ibrahim as Pak Lah's pol-sec in place of Lah-ist Othman Desa (who helped depose Suhaimi from GPMS' leadership earlier), was followed by Ezam's return to UMNO. (Has Ezam turned traitor?)
A distraction like another 'conspiracy' similar to that in late 1990's would certainly help Anwar and be a great excuse to not fulfilling some of his promises. However, Anwar's desperation over the last few days, including his messy arrangements when hiding in the Turkish Embassy, smacks of unpreparedness. If there is a conspiracy, Anwar is not running it, only trying his hardest to make the best of it.
And actually, Anwar's time at the Turkish embassy and hints of assistance from a close neighbour have backfired. It seems to confirm views that he is much too strongly linked to foreign powers for the comfort of the majority of Malaysians.
This brings us then at last to a group of conspirators who would benefit from this scandal in too many ways, especially if the finger of blame is successfully pointed in Najib's direction. I shall pull together bits of anecdotal evidence that indicates the conspirators behind the media spin to blame Najib, but this wise kakak has to take credit for setting my mind down this tangential path.
- Two of Ministers that have had photos taken with Saiful are firmly in the Lah camp, Datuk Azalina Othman and Datuk Shahrir Samad. Datuk Mustapha Mohamad has always been seen as a loyal worker, but he was one of Pak Lah's preferred candidates for UMNO Vice President in 2004. Ironic then that it is the photo with lowly Najib aide that is given early and persistent press.
- The Najib aide in the photo is an Oxbridge graduate and is not very famous for what he is doing... unless you're keeping tabs of Najib's team, or know him personally, or are from the same Oxbridge generation...
- The likeliest source of these photos other than Saiful himself or his family would likely be someone close to Saiful, probably at PKR's or Anwar's office. Wonder
- Even without the picture of the aide, Najib would have been seen to be the likeliest beneficiary of the conspiracy, hence implicated. What more with Anwar and his cohorts continuing to attack him on Altantuya, even the simplest of minds would imagine Najib's guilt. Pak Lah's is seen to be too incompetent... really?
- The media spin by the subtly pro-Pak Lah new media is now playing up the issue to show that in the end, he is still the best person to lead the country.... Hahahahahaha.... no, I'm not joking, see? The same new media also shows how cunningly the 4th floor and NST leadership is playing this.
- There was a delay between the time when the police report was made on Anwar's rape of the boy and the news (spin) went to press. With the exception of the MCA controlled Ministry of Health, both agencies that would be first alerted of the formal charges against Anwar, the police and the AG chambers, are under the control of Pak Lah or his allies in the Home Ministry.
- Najib was starting to show some VERY subtle signals that he wouldn't mind being nominated for UMNO President last week. Pak Lah feeling the heat of a real threat at last? But this scandal could remove any potential of Najib successfully challenging Pak Lah, it's more effective than Altantuya!
So my view of things as they stand now? I think Anwar raped that boy, that's what sodomy is, homosexual rape. And the biggest beneficiary of the spin around this case is Pak Lah! (And KJ, Kali, et al).
And it is so like Pak Lah and his gang to take advantage of the misfortune of one of his rakyat, isn't it...?
Anyway, I am too sick of this topic to write any more about it now. So from now on, I'll follow my Nyak's advice and start writing about something that's more productive... besides, Rocky has a couple of expose links that should convince you of Pak Lah's nastiness ... one wonders after reading them why we ever trusted Pak Lah!